Archive for July, 2010

NWrecover cannot change browse time in GUI on Solaris 10

July 13, 2010

I ran across another problem shortly after I wrote the first post of today. I was attempting to run nwrecover from a Solaris 10 server to restore some data. I was unable to change the browse time, receiving this error:

“An invalid or incomplete time value has been entered. Ensure the value entered includes hours, minutes and seconds and then try again.”

All I attempted to do was change the date, I did not change the time at all. Fortunately, I discovered a similar problem elsewhere which was solved by installing Solaris patch 119397-09. I am now able to run nwrecover and change the browse time without any problem.

Advertisements

Update

July 13, 2010

It’s been quite some time since I’ve updated this site. It’s been a busy year, both personally and professionally. Since my last update, we have added two Quantum Scalar i2000 libraries. We now have three libraries, one with 48 drives, one with 32 drives, and one with 16 drives. All have LTO-4 drives. We are thinking of upgrading the library with 16 drives to an i6000 with LTO-5 drives and moving the existing 16 drives to the library with 32 LTO-4 drives already. We have upgraded to Networker 7.5.2 still running Solaris 10 on a Sun T2000. We have four Networker Storage Nodes to help back up all the network backup traffic. We now backup about 50 TB per night. Things got so busy on the first Storage Node that we actually were running at 80-90% capacity of a dual-trunked Gigabit Ethernet card. Once this was discovered, we quickly added a third to the trunk and traffic calmed down to 20-30%.

The COPAN VTL was a disaster. We discovered that there was a bug in the software that caused the VTL controller to hang if backup was running at the same time it tried to start the de-duplication. This took COPAN almost a year to fix. Then we discovered that the de-duplicated area was almost impossible to read from. We were trying to restore a 300 GB file and the restore was running at 2-5 MB/s. As you can figure out, it timed out before it could finish. This took them several more months to fix. Their solution was to provide us with some “always-on” disk for the landing area with some cache for the de-duped data disks. The reconstitution of the data would run until the cache would fill, then the cache would write back to the landing area at about 20 MB/s. This was still not acceptable. Their solution was to charge us to replace the de-duped data disks with their “always-on” disk. I estimated that the cost to replace these disks would have been over a hundred thousand dollars. Needless to say, COPAN never came back with a quote to do this and we de-commissioned the COPAN. It is now serving to hold down some tile in the data center.